Various surveys conducted to determine the behavior of college students when it comes to cheating indicate that almost 60% of college students have cheated in their college years. This is an alarming percentage. Students come to school to learn from their professors and then apply whatever is taught to them in assignments so that they will be able to master the knowledge they have acquired. Cheating defeats this purpose. Plagiarism, especially, is one of the most common forms of cheating among college students. For this reason, academic institutions have now relied on using plagiarism detector tools such as the Plagiarism Checker Tool to determine if their students have committed plagiarism.
There are many different reasons why students commit plagiarism. However, according to some surveys, the most common reasons why students commit plagiarism are the following:
- Students do not know what plagiarism is and why it should be prevented at all times.
- Students find the directions of their teachers about their written assignments to be unclear.
- Students procrastinate and thereby rely on copying someone else’s work in the last minute to have something to be passed on.
- Students simply have lots of requirements and thus rely on copying someone else’s work to ease the job.
- Students do not know how to cite properly and thus commit plagiarism simply because they do not know the techniques of acknowledging borrowed information through citations.
- Students paraphrase borrowed information but still fail to include citations in order to acknowledge the original sources of information from where the paraphrased statements or paragraphs were obtained.
- Students aim to have excellent grades and are competitive enough to submit professionally written assignments which were actually copied from some other sources.
These are some of the top reasons why plagiarism occurs in the academe. These are also the reasons why tools such as the Plagiarism Checker Tool are now being used by teachers so that they will be able to detect plagiarism. If you are one of these teachers and you want to avoid plagiarism, then you should go to the website http://seotoolstation.com/plagiarism-checker in order to gain access to a very effective tool that detect plagiarism.